Nom-Rating: ***** (5/5)
Sometimes life just calls for a little chocolate.
And then there are those times in life that call for a LOT of chocolate!
Father’s Day just happens to be one of those times.
I have to be honest with you…this cake was supposed to be Ellis’ birthday cake. I had read something about how baking a cake to celebrate your baby can be a fun way to pass the time during early labor.
Ummm, either I skipped early labor or there are some extreme bakers out there. Baking a cake was the LAST thing on my mind once contractions started! Needless to say, I didn’t do anything “fun” to “pass the time” once Ellis started his arrival.
So this little cake became Mr. Torres’ Father’s Day dessert!
Mr. Torres’ first Father’s Day…cherry limeades and a visit to the Arboretum!
Mini Salted Six-Chocolate Cake
- For the cake: 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 Tbs white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup water
- For the frosting: 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbs milk
- For the mocha drizzle: 1/4 tsp instant coffee powder
- 1 tsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp water
- Chocolate Chips (semi-sweet and milk chocolate)
- For the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix everything together (either by hand or with a mixer).
- Pour into two mini cake pans (I used my 4 1/2 inch mini springform pans).
- Bake for 20-25 or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- For the frosting: Cream butter and shortening together with a mixer. Add everything else and mix until well-incorporated.
- For the mocha drizzle: On this one I just kind of mixed everything together and adjusted the amounts until I had something that tasted decent and drizzled well.
- To assemble the cake: Place one cake layer on a plate and cover with frosting.
- Layer the second cake on top and cover the entire cake with frosting.
- Use milk chocolate chocolate chips to decorate the outside of the cake.
- Add the mocha drizzle.
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips and drizzle melted chocolate on top of cake.
- Sprinkle salt over the entire cake.